Walton County was created in 1824; its present area is 1,028 square miles. Portions of territory were givien in 1846 to help form Washington County. In 1848 a northeastern portion was given to Holmes County and in 1915, a western portion of Walton and an eastern portion of Santa Rosa counties were untitled to form Okaloosa County.The county was named for Colonel George Walton, secretary of West Florida during the territorial governorship of Andrew Jackson. Walton was the son of George Walton, Governor of Georgia and signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Located in the Florida Panhandle on the border of Alabama with a rural northern terrain which stretches to beaches of the Gulf of Mexico
Cities include - DeFuniak Springs, Freeport, Paxton
Oldest Library in Florida still serving the public is located in DeFuniak Springs, FL
A lovely collection of Victoria Homes encircle the nearly symmetrical spring-fed Lake DeFuniak (One of only two such naturally circular bodies of water in the world)
Estimated Population of 59,807 residents in 2013
The area median income $44,254 in Walton is below the area median income of $47,309 for the state in 2012
Lakefest held in June at the DeFuniak Springs, FL Lakeyard. This event includes a 5K run/walk, canoe race, dash and splash fun run/walk, historic tours, kid's fun zone, and classic car show.